Sorry I kept everyone hanging after my post on Friday about SEVEN crazy follicles. This week has been SO weird and if I were to be abducted by aliens tomorrow I frankly wouldn't be suprised at all.
When we left off it was Friday and I had seven follicles and a really really high E2 level - 1284 I believe. After hearing my cycle would likely be cancelled I left the office in shock but luckily rebounded a few minutes later and called the office back to ask about converting the cycle to an IVF. I got to work, posted to the blog and waited for news. Finally I hear back from the less than awesome nurse that, while we still needed to get an authorization from the insurance, I should keep on my regular medication routine (not skip the Gonal F as I had been instructed to do earlier) and we would see where I stood on Monday.
Monday came and I now had NINE follicles - holy snap! Everything looked good in the office and I was told to plan on an egg retrieval on Friday. I still hadn't heard from the insurance but frantic googling had told me I had a good chance of being approved. I got into work so excited at the prospect of retrieving NINE eggs in just a couple of days.
Monday afternoon, however, I was able to get my lab results online and saw that my E2 had plummeted. It was now only 143. This didn't look good. I frantically called the nurse and asked her how this would affect the cycle. She told me that my doctor said maybe I was having a late reaction to the Ganirelix and I was directed to increase my Gonal F to 150.
(There was also some crazy drama with the entire United States being out of Ganirelix just as I needed to order more and lo and behold I am never working with that nurse again but I digress.)
Yesterday I went back for another follicle check. There were still nine - 16, 17, 14 and 14 on the Lefty, and 17, 16, 15, 18 and 11 on the Righty. The new (and amazing!) nurse explained that the follicles may even be bigger but they get crowded when there's so many. I knew at that point that retrieval wouldn't be Friday but was still hoping we could schedule it soon. I drove to work and anxiously awaited the results of my blood work.
The verdict: my E2 only rose to 186. I was instructed to double my dose of Menopur and we will check again tomorrow.
Meanwhile I asked for Monday, Thursday AND Friday off from work for unspecified medical reasons. If that wasn't awkward enough now I'm faced with the prospect of coming into work anyway if this cycle gets cancelled. I'm really hoping for good news tomorow and there will be a miraculous rise in estrogen.
BUT the REALLY EXCELLENT WONDERFUL news is that my insurance company approved me for one cycle of IVF! It just may not be right now. Stay tuned.....