Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Taking a Vacation From Your Problems

"A vacation from my problems! You bet I will!" - What About Bob (1991), a must see film starring Richard Dreyfus and Bill Murray about a man who follows his therapist on vacation and immerses himself into his family's life.

I have been trying to plan a vacation for a while now.  It seems that because of stuff going on at my husband's job, and because he doesn't have oodles of vacation time like I do, that it was hard to nail down a time and a place.  Of course, there there was the other big complication of where would I want to go if I was potentially pregnant.  Probably not on a cruise or someplace with a rocking nightlife.  We have a time share over the holidays in December but that seems so far away and I am still hoping to be in my third trimester of potential pregnancy by then. 

But it just came down to the fact that I NEEDED to plan something fun for us because I'm sick of waiting to see where we will be in a month, six months, etc.  So I did it.  We're going to Montreal.  We're staying at a beautiful hotel in Old Montreal.  I've never been there before.  I'm excited to check out the sites and the food and maybe see Cirque de Soleil. Anyone have any Montreal reccomendations?  We're only going for a long weekend but we're active vacationers.

And even though this vacation is meant, in part, as a fun distraction from our journey to pregnancy, it will still be symbolic in a few ways.  It will mark our second wedding anniversary and one year since we decided to try for a baby.  Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it will likely mark the completion of our third IUI cycle so we will either be pregnant or moving onto IVF.

Either way, I am excited for the trip.  Now to pick restaurants!

Have you been putting off things because you keep hoping to get pregnant?



6 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I too have been trying to plan a vacation. I love what you said about NEEDING to plan something and not feeling like you are just waiting around. I've never been to Montreal but I have heard wonderful things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We took a quick trip to Montreal a few years ago. I don't remember any specific restaurants, but there is an amazing crepe place about a block away from Notre Dame. Oh and the Montreal Botanic Gardens are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to convince Matt that we need to go somewhere too to get away! Your trip sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thinkin'! I just started to plan a trip too. I think we'll go to Baltimore and see an Orioles game. LOVE that ballpark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. first off, LOVE the what about bob reference. :-)
    I just did exactly the same thing! We booked a vacation to Rhodes for our second anniversary, because we need a break from all of this crap.
    Hope you have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I think I'm going to have to add What About Bob to my list of childhood faves to revisit!

    Montreal sounds lovely - I hope it truly is a vacation from your problems. And fingers crossed that you will be celebrating not only your anniversary but also a very nice IUI result!

    ReplyDelete