Saturday, April 14, 2012

I'm a Wanna Be Montessori Mom

I've always been interested in early child development. I nearly became a teacher but my mother convinced me to become a lawyer instead. Jokes on me because my mother makes more than twice my salary and has summers off, but that's neither here nor there. With the possibility of moving to Boston rendering me unemployed I immediately thought that I would have the time to integrate Montessori principles into my parenting style.

(Yes there's just the tiny problem of not having any kids yet but we're working on that.)

I know I will need to do a ton of research to get DH on board because as soon as I showed him a Montessori floor bed he thought I had lost my mind. But, Internet, you understand me. I first got introduced to the floor bed when a blogger I followed posted her son's Montessori nursery. This was way back before I was married and I was really impressed. Sure, some of the things on her blog practiced as part of the "Attachment Parenting" philosophy seemed weird - like elimination communication - I really liked the idea of designing a room around the needs of a child and their development.

Like I'm known to do I've been seeking out more blogs and books to research all there is to know about Montessori. I've learned you can spend quite a bit of time drooling over people's nurseries on Bedstart. I also plan to read Montessori From The Start as soon as I finish ten other books I'm currently reading.

One of these days I may actually need all this knowledge if I become a stay home mom. Wow! I never thought I'd be planning on that.

2 comments:

  1. That room looks so cute!

    By the way, I was tagged with the Lovely Blog award and have passed it along to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely to meet you! I'm glad you brought up Montessori - I've been meaning to read some books on it. I'll have to check out the one you mentioned. :-)

    (#ICLW #54)

    ReplyDelete